Thursday, April 9, 2015

Recipe - Baby Oatmeal with Bananas


 It's hard to believe that my little love buy will be 1 in just a week! Where has the time gone? It feels like just yesterday when we were bringing her home from the hospital.

Her favorite foods right now are: avocado with egg yolks, apple baby yogurt, banana peach puree, yam and oatmeal with banana.  We've tried carrots, but they were a no go. She enjoyed peas for a while, but not anymore. I made both my son's and now my daughter's food from scratch using a Beaba. For my son, to thicken it, I would used the instant boxed oatmeal that you can get at various grocery stores (Earth's Best brand). For Ms. E, I wanted to try and make the oatmeal myself. I did some research and came up with this really simple and easy to do recipe.

First of all -- they are babies -- so they won't eat a lot. You don't need to make more than 1/4 or 1/3 cup of oatmeal. (I purchase regular oats from the grocery store).

When I'm ready to make, I boil 2x as much water as oats I'm going to cook. Let's say I'm going to make 1/4 cup of oats. Then I will boil 1/2 cup of water.  Once the water is boiling, I put in the oats and reduce the heat. It takes about 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally.  Once the water is all gone, I turn off the stove, but a top on the pan and let it sit a few minutes.  The next step is putting the cooked oats into the blender (we have a VitaMix). I add in 1 banana and just a little bit of water. Depending on how thick (or thin) you want your oatmeal to be you would add less/more water. I add maybe 2-3 tablespoons.
Once everything is together, I start to blend on a low setting. Slowly, I will turn the blender speed higher and higher until it is on almost the highest setting. From there, I will let it go for 2-3 minutes. After I turn it off, I taste test to make sure there are no chunks. It is delish and the baby loves it too. You can even add a dash of cinnamon to add even more flavor to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment